Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Is it crockpot season yet?

Why yes, it is!

I saw this recipe on the nest, and because we'd already started eating soups, I decided it was high time for the crock pot to come out. Well, mostly it was because I wanted to make this recipe.

I made this the weekend we painted the guest room. I expected to be busy, between going to work for a few hours on Saturday, trying to catch up on sleep, and painting (and going to Lowe's for all the supplies- how on earth did that take 2 hours?!). So I thought a crock pot dinner, all ready to go once we finished the day of painting, would be perfect.

Like most crock pot dinners, this is really easy. Actually, it's almost easier than other crock pot meals. And, it was delicious. This is definitely on my list to make again.

Sweet fruit curry chicken
taken from A Year of Slow Cooking (and by the way, if you want to find more crock pot recipes, check this blog out, it has a ton of great recipes/ideas)

2lbs chicken, breasts or thighs, boneless/skinless or not (I used bone-in thighs, I removed the skin)
18oz jar of jam or marmalade- we used apricot, since it's what we had
1.5t vindaloo spice mix or curry powder
hot pepper to taste- 1/2t is probably good, use less if you use vindaloo powder, that's already spicy.
1/4t ground ginger
dash of salt
1/2 cup low/no sodium chicken stock (I actually used the stuff from the can this time- I know, crazy!)

Mix all the ingredients but the chicken together. (I microwaved the jam for 30sec to warm it up and make it easier to go into solution with the chicken broth).

Place the chicken in the crock pot. Pour the jam/stock/spice mixture over it. Cook on low for 6 hours. I poured some of the liquid over the chicken every once in a while.

Serve with grilled naan.

We both thought this meal was delicious. One issue, however, is that the sauce didn't thicken for us. It was still good, but next time I may try reducing the sauce a bit, either on the stove top or by turning the crock pot to high after removing the chicken. I also intend to try it with marmalade next time, now that I've added that to my grocery list.

No comments: