Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I'm Never Buying Salsa Again

Why, you ask?

Because the salsa I made this week beats any other salsa I've ever had, and all I had to do was chop a bunch of veggies, throw 'em in a pot, and boil half an hour. That's it!

Remember when I had all those tomatoes? I turned 18lbs into tomato sauce, I made a few batches of gazpacho? Then my mom brought me 10lbs more. It ended up that this past weekend, I had just over 7lbs of tomatoes. I didn't want to make more sauce, at the time I'd just made a big batch of gazpacho that we were still working on, so I needed to find another use. And it dawned on me (or maybe Clint suggested it): salsa!

After a couple days of half-hearted searches, I found this recipe from Never Enough Thyme. Most salsa recipes are for eating immediately, and I wanted to preserve it.

Basic Salsa
from Never Enough Thyme

Since I pretty much copied her recipe exactly, and she has better photos than I do, I'll just point you to her blog for the recipe.

Essentially, you chop CSA tomatoes, CSA onions, jalapenos (I actually one 1 poblano pepper, since I had some I needed to use up), CSA garlic and sweet green pepper (which I skipped, this time) and throw it in a pot. Add tomato sauce (I used my homemade stuff!), vinegar (I used half red, half white), sugar, salt, cumin, CSA parsley and CSA cilantro (and I added 1t chipotle powder), and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to boil gently for about half an hour. And... that's it! Transfer to jars, process them (place in the giant pot of boiling water, bring to a rolling boil and boil 20 min, then turn off the burner and let it sit before removing the jars) and voila, salsa!

No comments: