Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Attack of the killer tomatoes!

Does anyone else remember that show? It was so weird. It also came about when I was 10 or 11, so perhaps I was simply growing up and it was actually a decent show.

Regardless, I had a ton of tomatoes that needed to be used, or else my kitchen was going to get ugly.

So I dried them! Super easy, very delicious.

Oven-dried tomatoes
taken from Cooks Like a Champion

Roma tomatoes (I had about 3lbs)
salt
olive oil
fresh herbs (I used basil, because I also had a ton of that, but any herbs you have would work great)

Wash tomatoes, slice in half and place skin-side down on a foil-lined and sprayed cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil (I was pretty stingy with the olive oil but I even wish I'd used less), sprinkle with salt and place the herbs so that each tomato has an herb on it.

Bake at 170F for a day. I baked for 6 hours, then took a 3 hour break to cook dinner, cooked 5 more hours, then cooked 5 more hours the next day. The original recipe suggested 8-12 hours, but this wasn't nearly enough for me.

Store in a sealed container in the fridge. (or freezer)

Use roma (plum) tomatoes for this. I threw in a few smaller round CSA tomatoes, just to use them up, and I had to give up on drying them, they were simply too thick to dry as much as the Romas did.

But now I have to find a good way to use roma tomatoes. Perhaps risotto, or on a salad?

No comments: