Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pumpkin Party: Appetizers, part 2

Sadly, sans pictures- for now. I've apparently lost all my pumpkin party pictures. Even so, all of these dips are delicious, and I highly recommend them.

Savory Dips

Pumpkin Hummus
idea inspired by Miss Smart of The Smart Kitchen, and her love for hummus

1 cup pumpkin puree (home made or canned, I used canned)
1 cup plain hummus
1/2 nutmeg
1/2 cumin
dash of chipotle or chili powder (optional)

Mix all together. Serve with plain crackers or assorted veggies.

It's super simple- and yes, I used storebought hummus, because, why not? One day I'll make hummus starting with tahini and chickpeas, I promise.

Pumpkin Olive Tapenade
from Food, Not Fuss

(I doubled the original recipe)

1 cup olives (I used pitted kalamata), finely chopped. I recommend using the food processor, I did it by hand and they were chunkier than I'd have liked.
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2t lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced

Mix all together. Serve with plain crackers or baguette.


Both of these will keep in the fridge for a few weeks. I'm a bit leery of old hummus though, so I always try to eat it up in a couple weeks.

Sweet Dips (just one)

Pumpkin Pie Dip
taken from Creating Nirvana Today

2 cups pumpkin puree (I used canned)
1 8oz brick of cream cheese (I used low fat), softened
1/4t ginger
1/4t ground cloves
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix all the ingredients together (I'd recommend whipping the cream cheese first, then adding everything else to it, to avoid lumps). Serve with crackers, gingersnaps, or bread.

This really tastes like pumpkin cheesecake made into a dip, and it's nice and easy! Unless you expect a lot of people to eat it, I'd recommend cutting the recipe in half.

No comments: