Friday, May 7, 2010

Ginger ice cream

One day, I had milk in my fridge. Lots and lots and lots of milk. I had to use it up, lest it expire and die a very smelly, dreadful death.

So I made ice cream, of course.

All of my previous ice creams have been variations of an orange coffee gelato from the Kitchenaid Ice Cream Maker cookbook (included with the ice cream maker), but this time, I decided to venture elsewhere for a base recipe. I found a Martha Stewart ginger ice cream that looked good, so I adapted it for my half gallon of whole milk.

Not-so-fatty ginger ice cream (not quite low-fat, either)
Ingredients:
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
dash of coarse salt
2 cups whole milk (2% would also be good, for a lower-fat/calorie version)
2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks

In a medium saucepan on a countertop (not over a burner- yet), combine egg yolks (make sure you use those whites for something else! such as meringue buttercream or a double batch of coconut macaroons) and sugar. Whisk vigorously for a few minutes, until mixture turns a lemony yellow. Whisk in milk and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon (note my "stirring constantly" kitchen set up- one hand on the laptop, the other stirring). Once mixture has thickened (but make sure eggs don't scramble/curdle- even if they do a little, it's ok, just not ideal), remove from heat and add in sliced ginger. Let sit 30-45 minutes, then cool (in a refrigerator is fine and easy, but takes longer, over an ice water bath is quickest). Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the ice cream maker's instructions.

No comments: