Friday, February 5, 2010

HAPPY NUTELLA DAY!!!!

The happiest day of the year!

Ok, maybe I'm going a little overboard, but I just love Nutella that much.

Let's recap the week.

First, I made french almond macarons with nutella filling
Then, a quick snack of grilled bananas drizzled with nutella
Third, Italian cookies with nutella filling
Nutella gelato with almonds

And, the grand finale, vanilla nutella-swirl cupcakes with nutella buttercream frosting!
I found the recipe on the 2009 recipe list of the World Nutella Day website. It's from Meet Me in the Kitchen, who got it from I Heart Cuppycakes.

The recipe is fairly easy, although it produces a much thicker cupcake batter than I've ever seen before (so I was glad for all the photos on these two sites). Makes about 4 dozen mini cupcakes (or 12-15 regular-sized cupcakes).

Cream 10T butter (room temperature) and 3/4 cup sugar until light, about 2 min. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in 1/2t vanilla (the batter will look a little clumpy, this is ok), then sift together 1 and 3/4cup flour, 2t baking powder and 1/4t salt and mix in.
See? It's almost like a soft cookie dough. Most cakes/cupcakes I've made include milk in the batter, and this had no milk but more eggs, so I think that's the difference.

I'm taking these cupcakes to work, where potentially 10-12 people will be eating them, so I made mini cupcakes to stretch the batch (and also 6 regular-sized cupcakes, when I got tired of alllll the minis I was making), using about 1/2 a cookie scoop of batter. Soften some nutella (in the microwave for 20 sec or so), and add about 1/2-1t to the top of each cupcake cup of batter. Swirl the nutella around with a toothpick, then back at 325oF for about 20 minutes (a bit more for regular-sized cupcakes).

Once the cupcakes are cool, they're ready to frost.

Beat 1 stick of softened butter with 3 cups of powdered sugar (add 1 cup at a time). Beat in 1/4 cup half&half or whole milk (I used fat free half&half) and 1/2t vanilla. Add 1/2cup more powdered sugar and beat on high for a few minutes, until it's fluffy. Soften1/4cup nutella (in the microwave again) and beat into the frosting. If the frosting's not stiff enough, add another 1/2cup powdered sugar.

Frost the cupcakes!

I like the cupcakes, but I love the frosting. I'm very pleased to say that I have nearly 1/2 the batch of frosting left after frosting all 3 dozen mini and 6 large cupcakes.

And, um, because I can't get enough nutella, and I still have one unopened jar, I'm considering making either these nutella cookies (recipe passed on by a raveler) or these banana nutella muffins (recipe suggested by a niner).... or maybe both.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, not to throw a kink in your plans, but have you seen Nigella's Nutella Cake? i suggest you drop everything and google it :)

Catherine said...

lol fortunately, I *have* seen that, but I decided it needs to be saved for a party occasion, when I can serve it with a flourish and impress a large group of people.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Lovelovelove all you've done! Thanks so much for participating in such a grand fashion :)