Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Post-gym dinner: scones and smoothies

Last night, I made scones. I found this recipe from KAF several weeks ago, really intended to make them, but did not until last night. I even went out and bought dried cherries. But yesterday, for some reason, I really wanted to make scones.

I got home late, since I went to the gym after lab, and got to work.
Recipe:
2 and 3/4 cups flour (I used 1-3/4 cup all-purpose and 1cup cake flour, because I have a ton of cake flour and don't actually like to use it in cakes, and it may or may not have made a difference- I so seldomly use cake flour that I don't really know)
1T baking powder
3/4t salt
1/3cup sugar
Whisk all that together.

Then blend in one stick of cold butter, chopped up into small-ish pieces.

Then add in your fruit/nut/whatever. I used 1-1/2 cup dried tart cherries, but I was also considering using fresh blueberries- but then I decided I'd have those for lunch today. Raspberries would also be really good. Someone commented on the recipe on the KAF site and said she used crystallized ginger, and I really like that idea. The possibilities are endless.

Then: in a separate bowl, combine 2 eggs, 1/2 to 2/3cup of milk (this confused me... I can see it being like pie crust, you add enough liquid until it comes together, but if you do it like this, you don't really want to stop short of the whole mix because you need the eggs... I added 1/2cup to the mix and figured I'd add more milk if I needed it) and flavoring: I did vanilla. Add this slowly to the flour/butter mixture, until it comes together.

Don't overbeat this, it has baking powder and will become hockey puck-like if you do.

Then: pat the dough into 2 6 inch rounds, and score into 6 wedges. Freeze for 30 min, uncovered. All the comments said this was optional but really, really good. I can't argue with this. I think they would have been flatter and spread out if I hadn't frozen them. This recipe also produced a far fluffier scone than my usual recipes, closer to what I get in restaurants that act like they specialize in scones.

Before baking brush with milk and sprinkle with sanding sugar (white sugar is good enough). Bake at 425 for 20-25 min. Eat as soon as they're cool enough to handle, because YUM.


I had my peach "nectar" smoothie last night for dinner (I always have a smoothie after going to the gym, solid food doesn't appeal to me after 40 min on the elliptical). My smoothie was an odd flavor combination, since I only had blueberry yogurt, and was sure I had one vanilla left. My smoothies always include: a piece of fruit or handful of frozen berries, one container of non-fat yogurt, 3-4 ice cubes, enough fruit juice to make it slurpable through a straw, and a spoonful of ice cream or gelato. Last night was: blueberry yogurt, coconut gelato, 1 peach and slushy peach nectar. It was a random assortment of flavors, but yum.

My dinner was smoothie, and once the scones were out of the oven, 2 scones. Then this morning, I practically ran through my morning routine so I could sit down at the table with 2 scones and my coffee. I might have to bake another batch on Thursday to bring on the plane with me. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting up a great basic scone recipe! it seems like whenever the mood strike sme to make these things, i can never find a nice, simple base recipe to start with. gold star for YOU!