Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Yay! and pie.

I finally got on ravelry.com! They have to gradually add people because two people can only handle maintaining so many people on a forum like ravelry (which I'm still trying to figure out), so I only recently tried to get on. I've heard of people waiting months to get an account, but it took me less than a week.

So, maybe this'll motivate me to finish some of my UFOs, and give me ideas for new things to knit. I should start asking for yarn or gift certificates to my favorite LYS as birthday gifts.

I also baked a raspberry pie last night- my favorite kind of pie (peach-lime being a close second).
Martha Stewart's pie crust:
combine 2.5 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar. Cut up 2 sticks (1cup) of cold, unsalted butter, and blend into the flour until mixture is crumbly (many suggest doing this in a food processor, so not having one, I started out doing this in a blender. I don't recommend that. However, using your Kitchenaid stand mixer works beautifully). Then slowly, while mixing, add in 1/4-1/2 cup of ice water, just enough so the crust will come together. Pat into 2 discs and chill for 1 hour. Roll out to 1/4-1/8 inch thick.

Raspberry filling: 3 12 oz packages of frozen raspberries (I like to overfill my pies), 1/4 cup sugar, 2 T flour, some spices (I used 1/2t cinnamon, 1t allspice, 1t ginger, but I like to experiment). Put into pie dish with bottom crust already in it, cover with top crust. Mush edges of crust together, poke holes in top, brush on an egg white wash (if you use a whole egg, it might turn yellow from the yolk). bake at 425 for 15 min, then turn down to 375 for 45 min. Eat. Yum.

Seriously yum.

No comments: