Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pumpkin time!

It's pumpkin time! I've now had 3 pumpkin spice lattes, made pumpkin bread and pumpkin cookies. Today was chilly (my husband turned the heat on yesterday) and my schedule was off as I tried to recover from working 4 days in a row at the winery (i.e. I fell asleep at 9:30pm and got up at 10, and had breakfast at 11) so I felt it was a soup kind of day.

I recently came across a mind-blowing blog- The Pumpkin Project: A Year of Pumpkins. AMAZING, right? She has a complete variety of recipes on there, using everything from puree to roasted pumpkins to pepitas to pumpkin pie spice. I love it. She doesn't weed out recipes to only share the good ones and is honest about the results.

The morning after Gal A blessed my inbox with the url to this blog, I practically blew up my pinterest page with all the delicious-looking recipes I wanted to make. (side note: I've been on pinterest since January 2011, and I never really found a use for it... until now.) One recipe that really caught my eye was the pumpkin tomatillo soup, because one of my knitting buddies had brought her tomatillo harvest to knitting one night to share, and I still had a bunch in my fridge, sitting around because I have no idea what to do with them. (after I started making this soup today, Clint was like, ooh are you making posole? duh! Why did I not think of posole before?! We love posole)

Pumpkin Tomatillo Soup
Recipe from Hello Giggles, by way of The Pumpkin Project
with my modifications!

1 and 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
8 tomatillos, quartered
1 roasted poblano pepper (we used 3 mystery peppers from the farmer's market. I should have used one or two)
1 can of light coconut milk
3/4 cup water (or broth/stock)
2t paprika
1/2t cumin
1/2t coriander
1/4t chipotle
1/4t sea salt
1/4t freshly ground black pepper

Did I mention this is really easy?
Combine everything in a blender and puree til smooth. Pour into a pot and boil for a few minutes to heat thoroughly.

Makes 5 cups. Per 1 cup serving (assuming my calorie calculator has the right coconut milk; there was only one option): 77 calories, 2.6g fat, 132g sodium, 13g carbs, 3.8g fiber, 3.2g protein. And 270% of your daily Vitamin A, bam!

I served with a spoonful of low fat sour cream. I'd originally planned to swirl in my chipotle sour cream (1/4cup low fat sour cream, a couple spoonfuls of adobo sauce from a can of chipotles, a small spoonful of lime juice and a tiny pinch of salt), but the mystery peppers were super duper hot, so I used plain sour cream. Next time I will use a pepper I can identify and avoid this little surprise.

That being said, this was perfect for a chilly day like today. The combination of the pumpkin, coconut milk and tomatillos is really unexpected and different, and really really tasty. It's also super quick and convenient. I think I need to rebuild my stock of coconut milk now!

I ate it with 2 pieces (1.25oz) of whole wheat ciabatta bread, each spread with one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (one original, one sundried tomato basil,  my new fave). The LC didn't really go with the soup, but oh well, it was still tasty.

No comments: