Friday, August 22, 2008

Something new

Someone in the WRJ Yarn shop (White River Yarns) group on Ravelry posted photos of the roving she dyed with Kool-aid. And, oops, I looked at it and became intrigued. She gave me this how-to website, so you know when I next have money I'm buying me some knitpicks bare.

Just what I need, another hobby!

Also, I made more scones last night, from the recipe of the previous post. Now, this is where it's evident I'm a little off my rocker. I'm going to Disney World tonight, I got home at 10 last night, after a long lab day and a spur-of-the-moment trip to the gym. At 10pm, I thought, oh, I'll make scones. Um, what?! I hadn't even packed yet, and I'm a tad anal when it comes to packing. I knew I could leave it til this morning, but that would be a bad idea because I have a good amount of labwork before I have to leave for the airport at 4:15pm. And aside from having little free time in which to make the scones, I'm going away for several days, and I can't take all of them with me, so what's teh point, really? No idea.

Well, anyway. I made them, with 2 fresh peaches and a couple handfuls (um... a 1/2 cup? not enough, in my mind) of crystallized ginger that I minced in the mini food processor. I learned something. Peaches are a bit wet for this. The dough was not dough, it was batter. I had to make drop scones. They're good, but definitely different than the others. I prefer the first batch.

I made 11 scones (that's all I could fit on the pan, I ate the rest of the batter, yummm): 4 of them are coming on the plane with me, I ate one fresh out of the oven, and 6 of them will have to go in the freezer. At least I can have tasty scones for breakfast when I return!

I'll try to give a full report of Disney World food when I return. Our eating plans include Japan, Norway (the sit-down restaurants in Epcot), Narcoosee's (at the Grand Floridian), afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian, and the Prime Time Cafe at MGM. Except for Narcoosee's, which we only started going to since the dining plan came about (we used to always go there for lunch, but they stopped serving lunch in the mid 1990's), these are all our favorites. We may also hit the downstairs sit-down restaurant in France, another new addition to our dining repertoire.

And that's why I had to go to the gym last night. And every night next week, and the next week.

No comments: